Thursday, January 27, 2011

Yet Another 90's Insert Set: '96 Jam Session Show Stoppers

'96 Jam Session David Robinson Show Stoppers 
90's insert sets came in all shapes and sizes. Whether it was die cuts or holograms, card designers let their imaginations go wild. One prominent design feature was foiling. I was a big fan of foiled card surfaces back in the day and continue to be a fan today. Most cards that have foiling incorporated in the designs today are mainly used as an accent on boarders and around jersey pieces. That's fine by me as the foiling always looks great and really dresses a card up even if it's just used as an accent. However, some companies went all out with foiling during the 90's by creating entire card surfaces made up of foiling.

The '94 Fleer Ultra Power in the Key set (click here) is a prime example of the use of foiling during the 90's. If that's not enough foiling for you though, checkout this '96 Jam Session Show Stoppers David Robinson insert. Not only is the entire surface foil, but it's a taller 2.5 x 4.75 inch as apposed to the traditional 2.5 x 3.5 inch card size. That means a whole lot more foiling. Which I like.

The scan really doesn't do this card justice. These Jam Session cards look a little better in hand. The entire set consists of nine cards and we inserted into hobby boxes at a ratio of 1:48. I only have the Robinson from the set, but I'd love to put this set together. Some of my favorite 90's players are featured in the set including Michael Jordan, Anfernee Hardaway and Grant Hill. Not too shabby of a player checklist.

So if anyone has any cards from this set, let me know. Here's a link to my trade album and want lists. I'm certainly open to trades for this… Yet Another 90's Insert Set.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love those awkward... oversized cards from the mid 90's. Wow... that card sure has a lot of foil! Best of luck on building this set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this set when I was younger. The Extra Innings baseball is also a fun set. You are right when saying scans/pictures of these cards don't do them proper justice.

    Now that I know they make plastic pages to fit these cards I might throw in a box of Extra Innings into my group break...

    ReplyDelete