Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Darko And The Young T-Wolves

2004 Topps Chrome RC Refractor
Don't look now, but Darko Milicic is actually having a respectable season in Minnesota. Just so I don't get any of those "Are you crazy emails!!!", I wrote "respectable" not great or even good. Feel free to send the emails anyways… if you really want to. I can take it.

The former 2nd overall pick by the Detroit Pistons in the 2003 NBA Draft is certainly known more as a bust that a decent player. However, Milicic has started all 36 games for the Timberwolves and is averaging 9 points, 2 assists, 5.3 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in only 24 minutes/game. Those aren't all-star caliber numbers, but they sure aren't Kwame Brown numbers either.

The 25 year old will likely never live up to the number 2 draft selection, but where Darko was selected isn't his fault. As of right now, Milicic is one of the league leaders in blocks while playing limited minutes.

The Timberwolves are having another difficult season, but there is some talent on that roster that should be interesting to see develop over the next few seasons (Flynn, Love, Rubio, Beasley and Johnson). Notice, that I wrote "some talent", and I even italicised the word. There's no question the T-Wolves are far from being a good team, but they are interesting with some of the talent that's there along with the high lottery pick they should get this summer and potential trade value of Ricky Rubio (or whatever happens with Rubio's rights).

At only 25 years of age, Darko could be a small part of a resurgent T-Wolves future. At this point, any part of a team's future is better than many figured for Milicic considering the lackluster start to his career.

Happy collecting and… "Enjoy Every Bounce of the Ball".

2 comments:

  1. Lol... I've been looking for his autograph at a reasonable price for over a year now. I'm sure you know why I want it... unfortunately... his autos still go for more than I'm willing to spend. One of these days... one of his graphs will find a home in my PC... one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was looking for an auto or two of Darko's, but I'm good with this RC Ref. I watched his auto's for 3 weeks. Some are going through with no sales/bids. Others like the '04 UD Exquisite RC Auto's are going for around $85.

    That would def be a nice post in your series!!!

    ReplyDelete