Monday, December 20, 2010

Hoopography Top 25 PC Countdown #2: '93 TSC Shaquille O'neal Beam Team RC

'93 Topps Stadium Club
Shaquille O'neal Beam Team RC
My Top 25 PC Countdown is getting down to the end with the #2 card on the list: 1993 Tops Stadium Club Shaquille O'neal Beam Team RC. I'm sure the appearance of this card so high on the countdown isn't really much of a surprise to readers. I'm a big fan of the early 90's TSC sets with their great photography and early Shaq cards (Orlando Magic and L.A. Lakers). This is also the 7th appearance of an O'neal card on the countdown. What can I say? I was too young to afford any of these cards back in the day. These are like white whales for me.

This was easily one of the most sought after cards in the hobby during 1993 and for good reason. The "Shaq Attack" was well underway and TSC was hot. In fact, the entire TSC Beam Team set was on fire (click here). I remember seeing this card, along with the Jordan Beam Team, in cases at card shops for around $150-$175. That's a much different story today (click here). I somehow pulled an eBay miracle out with a $35 winning bid (plus $5 for shipping) for the entire 21 card Beam Team set!

As great as all the other cards in my countdown are, no card symbolises the fingerprint smudges and fogged up showcases than this. That's why it takes the #2 spot on my Top 25 PC Countdown.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I remember these being big time back in the day for sure. Keep the PC countdown coming, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days... I'll add this set to my PC... after I hit the lottery. Nice card Charles.

    Down to one... what could it possibly be? I'm going with a Michael Jordan acetate card ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys.

    @Fuji, This set can be had at a reasonable price. I bought it about two years ago for $35 plus shipping. I watched the prices on these sets for about 3 months and noticed that there is always one or two that slips through the cracks. The going rate is about $75-$100, but def keep an eye out for one that slips through to get a deal.

    ReplyDelete