Sunday, August 22, 2010

Is This The Best Looking Baseball Card Ever?


Ok, so I think the question posed in the post title is really impossible to answer with any definitely. Essentially, card collecting is a very subjective hobby, but every now and then a card comes along that combines great design, color, photography and a HOF player. This is the case with the 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson RC.

Not only was Henderson likely the best lead off man in MLB history, but the '80 Topps card features a classic 70's/80's card design and iconic batting stance. The Oakland A's green and yellow team colors also brings the whole card together. This is a must have for any baseball card collector, and I was glad to add the Henderson RC to my collection a few months ago.

To some, the 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson RC is the best looking baseball card in the hobby, to others it's not, but there's no question that it's certainly worth noting. What do you think? Is this the best looking baseball card ever, or at least in the conversation?

3 comments:

  1. Such an awesome card. Really, if you had to pick a winner for a 'modern' era card. That would be it.

    There were a few cards in the 60's that I'm quite partial to, but for a player who played in my lifetime, that card would be hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe it... I'm a huge A's fan & have been since for over 30 years... and I still don't have one of these cards in my collection.

    I agree this card is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice card from that era. I respect your assessment. I cast my vote for the 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson. I've heard a few people describe the 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese as the nicest card from the nicest set. From the '60s I just love the '64 Topps Pete Rose for its bold design, up front All Star Rookie trophy and youthful gap toothed portrait of the hit king. But that evaluation has as much to do with sentimentality as aesthetics. My favorite as a kid was the 1974 Tom Seaver with its horizontal action picture. From the T206 set, the Rube Marquard portrait always has a mesmerizing effect on me. And from the 1888 Goodwin Champions set, the King Kelly is a stunner. I could talk all night so let's not get into football cards! What other cards do you think should be in the discussion?

    ReplyDelete